The Montgomery Symphony Orchestra is excited to announce our 2016 Youth Concerto Competition!
We invite talented middle and high school musicians to participate by submitting a video audition no later than Thursday, March 31, 2016. The winners will be invited to perform their selected piece with the Montgomery Symphony Orchestra before a live concert audience in downtown Silver Spring on Sunday, June 19, 2016. The competition is open to all orchestral instruments except piano.
This is a rewarding solo performance opportunity for youth musicians.
Participation is simple:
- Select the piece you’d like to perform, and check your repertoire first by sending an email to MSO Music Director Scott Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to know of your interest and repertoire by Tuesday, March 1st, but this is not required.
- Record a video of you performing your selected piece in one continuous take. Upload your video file to YouTube as an unlisted video and complete this entry form to submit the link no later than Thursday, March 31st. (See video tips below.)
- We’ll announce the winners, as selected by a panel of judges, by April 15, 2016. All winners will be invited to perform their selection with the MSO during our Sunday, June 19, 2016 concert at the Silver Spring Civic Building. Winners should plan to join the MSO for at least two evening rehearsals prior to the concert to prepare their pieces with the orchestra.
If you have questions about the competition:
Please email Michele Bartlow at email@example.com.
Guidance for recording and submitting your video audition:
- Your video will be reviewed by a panel of judges who will listen, not watch. So don’t worry about how the video looks — only about how your performance sounds!
- You can use any video recording device you have access to — even a cell phone — but make sure the device is close enough to you to record quality audio.
- The judges will review the submissions anonymously, so your name and voice should NOT be part of the video you submit. Our competition administrators will know it’s yours via the form.
- The easiest way to share your final video is by uploading it to YouTube. Step-by-step instructions are available at: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407. You will need to create an account.
- Before you start uploading, change the YouTube privacy setting for your video to “Unlisted.” This will ensure that your video is only viewable to someone who has the link. It will not be searchable. (The MSO will only share this link with our judges.)
- If you prefer, you can also send us a shareable link to listen to your video file via Google Drive or another file-sharing service. Just make sure the settings allow anyone with the link to view it!
The 2016 Concerto Concert is supported in part by funding from the Montgomery County government and the Arts and Humanities Council of Montgomery County.