The Montgomery Symphony Orchestra is excited to announce our 2nd Annual Youth Concerto Competition!
The MSO launched our first-ever youth concerto competition in 2016, selecting three violinists and a flutist to perform in concert with the MSO last June.
We are now inviting talented middle and high school wind and brass musicians to participate in our 2nd annual competition by submitting a video audition no later than Friday, March 10, 2017.
The winners will be invited to perform their selected piece with the Montgomery Symphony Orchestra before a live concert audience in downtown Silver Spring on Sunday, June 18, 2017. This is a rewarding solo performance opportunity for youth wind and brass musicians!
See the entry form below for complete guidelines.
Participation is simple:
- Select the piece or movement that you’d like to perform, and check your repertoire first by sending an email to MSO Music Director Scott Wood at email@example.com.
- Record a video of you performing your selected piece. Upload your video file to YouTube as an unlisted video and complete this entry form to submit the link no later than Friday, March 10th. (See video tips below.)
- We’ll announce the winners by March 25th. All winners will be invited to perform their selection with the MSO during our Sunday, June 18, 2017 concert at the Silver Spring Civic Building.
If you have questions about the competition:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips for recording and submitting your video audition:
- Your video will be reviewed by a panel of judges who will listen, not watch. So don’t worry about how the video looks — only about how your performance sounds!
- You can use any video recording device you have access to — even a cell phone — but make sure the device is close enough to you to record quality audio.
- The judges will review the submissions anonymously, so your name and voice should NOT be part of the video you submit. Our competition administrators will know it’s yours via the form.
- The easiest way to share your final video is by uploading it to YouTube. Step-by-step instructions are available at: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407. You will need to create an account.
- Before you start uploading, change the YouTube privacy setting for your video to “Unlisted.” This will ensure that your video is only viewable to someone who has the link. It will not be searchable. (The MSO will only share this link with our judges.)
- If you prefer, you can also send us a shareable link to listen to your video file via Google Drive or another file-sharing service. Just make sure the settings allow anyone with the link to view it!