The Montgomery Symphony Orchestra is now inviting entries to our 4th Annual Youth Concerto Competition!
Since launching our youth concerto competition in 2016, the MSO has showcased 10 winning soloists, providing an opportunity for musicians on violin, cello, flute, piccolo, clarinet, oboe, and trumpet to perform with us at our annual June concert. We are now inviting entries to our 4th annual competition by the deadline of Sunday, March 10, 2019.
Eligibility: The competition is open to middle and high school musicians (grades 6-12) on any orchestral instrument (including percussion, with the exception of piano). See the entry form below for complete guidelines.
Repertoire: Entrants select the piece or movement you’d like to perform. You are highly encouraged to confirm the feasibility of your repertoire in advance by sending an email to us at MSO.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Audition: Record a video of you performing your selected piece. Upload your video file to YouTube as an unlisted video and complete this entry form to submit the link no later than Sunday, March 10th. (See video recording tips below.)
Prize: Competition winners will be invited to rehearse and perform their selected piece with the Montgomery Symphony Orchestra before a live concert audience at the downtown Silver Spring Civic Building on Sunday, June 16, 2019. Each winner will also receive a $100 award from the MSO’s Scott Wood Scholarship Fund.
Entry Fee: To help cover the costs of administering the competition and concert, the competition includes a $20 entry fee (new in 2019). However, we will waive this fee for any student for whom it poses a barrier to entry. We welcome and encourage entrants of diverse backgrounds.
Announcement of Results: We plan to announce the winners of the competition by April 1, 2019.
Questions?: Please email MSO.email@example.com.
Tips for recording and submitting your video audition:
- Your video will be reviewed by a panel of judges who will listen, not watch. So don’t worry about how the video looks — only about how your performance sounds!
- You can use any video recording device you have access to — even a cell phone — but make sure the device is close enough to you to record high-quality audio.
- The judges will review the submissions anonymously, so your name and voice should NOT be part of the video you submit. Our competition administrators will know it’s yours via the form.
- The easiest way to share your final video is by uploading it to YouTube. Step-by-step instructions are available at: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407. You will need to create an account.
- Before you start uploading, change the YouTube privacy setting for your video to “Unlisted.” This will ensure that your video is only viewable to someone who has the link. It will not be searchable. (The MSO will only share this link with our judges.)
- If you prefer, you can also send us a shareable link to listen to your video file via Google Drive, Dropbox, or another file-sharing service. Just make sure the settings allow anyone with the link to view it!